At least six people are feared dead in a suspected Boko Haram suicide attack on a mosque in Cameroon’s Far North Region near the Nigerian border, security and administrative sources told Anadolu Agency on Monday.
"A strong explosion occurred in Nguetchewe Mosque, located in the department of Mayo Tsanaga (Far North) on Monday at around 5:00 a.m. (0400 GMT) during the morning prayer," Alfred Mbadi, a gendarmerie commander, told Anadolu Agency.
This was confirmed by Ouhe Kolandi, an administrative official of the Mayo Moskota locality.
"The explosion was so strong that it destroyed part of the walls of the mosque," said Ali Blama, a preacher at the mosque told Anadolu Agency.
"We removed six bodies from the rubble and the injured were transported to the nearest hospital," he added without giving details on the number of injured.
This is the third suicide attack targeting mosques in Cameroon’s Far North region near the Nigerian border in 2016.
Last week, a similar attack targeted a mosque in the city of Kouyape, killing 13 people and leaving one injured.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack but such attacks have always been attributed to Boko Haram.
Boko Haram, which has pledged allegiance to Daesh, has waged a six-year conflict that began in northeast Nigeria but has spread to neighboring countries.
Out of the estimated 24 million population of Cameroon, 25 percent are believed to be Muslim.