Turkish lawyers take action: Filing complaint to ICC over Gaza tragedy

| Last update :

Turkish delegation goes to Netherlands with signatures of 3,500 lawyers to bring genocide committed by Israel in Gaza to ICC, presents three folders of evidence

Turkish lawyers take action: Filing complaint to ICC over Gaza tragedy

The ongoing human tragedy in Gaza has prompted Turkish lawyers to gather thousands of signatures, filing a complaint with the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Israel, alleging genocide and the massacre of children, women, and people of all ages.

A 16-member delegation of lawyers headed by Yasin Samli, President of the 2nd Istanbul Bar Association, recently visited the headquarters of the Court in The Hague, the Netherlands.

The delegation also took the petition of 3,500 signatures collected until that day to the Netherlands. The delegation met with the prosecutor who is the head of the investigative team conducting the Palestinian investigation.

3 FOLDERS OF EVIDENCE

The prosecutor and his team explained at length the nature of the application and the evidence, which consisted of three folders, and the nature of the evidence. The prosecutor also asked questions and the delegation answered them.

The delegation included Cuneyt Yuksel, chairperson of the Justice Committee of the Turkish Parliament, with much of this evidence obtained from inside Gaza itself.

The notarized statements of those who came from Gaza as wounded persons, the statements of those who lived there and were exposed to these attacks through telephone contact with Gaza, and the information received from journalists working in the region and witnessing the attacks in person were included in the evidence folder.

MOST SERIOUS APPLICATION EVER

Prosecution officials said that the evidence taken was the most serious evidence ever brought to court.

Prosecutor's Office officials told the delegation that they took this application seriously, that it was based on evidence, and that it was the most serious application among the 5 applications made so far. They stated that the other applications were written applications based on criticism.

APPLICATION TO UN

Following its meetings in The Hague, the delegation went to Geneva to the U.N. Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights. There, the delegation met with the leader of the team leading the Palestinian investigation. They stated that the application was important and that the necessary action would be taken.

"Our contacts were much more positive than we expected. We have found a response both in The Hague and in Geneva, and we have witnessed that the officials there are making efforts to stop the tragedy in Gaza." Shamli continued his words as follows: There is a great drama in Gaza. There are four crimes under the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court. The first is Genocide, the second is crimes against humanity,” Samli said.

“The third is war crimes and the last is assault crimes. All of these four types of offenses have been committed in Gaza. We have added 3 folders of evidence we collected from Gaza to this petition. We invite all lawyers, NGOs, states, and all people in the world to stop this tragedy," he added.

WHAT HAPPENED

Hamas' military wing, the Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades, announced that they launched a comprehensive attack against Israel called "Al-Aqsa Flood" on the morning of Oct. 7.

While thousands of rockets were fired from Gaza towards Israel, armed groups entered the settlements in the region. The Israeli army also launched an attack on the Gaza Strip with dozens of warplanes. The Palestinian Ministry of Health in Gaza announced that Israel killed 14,500 people, including 5,000 children, and 3,500 women. It injured at least 32,000 people in its attacks on Gaza.

The administration said the number of missing persons crossed 6,000, with most of them suspected of lying under the rubble of the fallen buildings.

It was reported that 1,400 Israelis, including 324 soldiers, were killed and 5,132 Israelis were wounded in the attacks from Gaza.

The Israeli army hit Damascus and Aleppo airports. As the Middle East is once again turning into a bloodbath, a deadline has been set for nearly 2.5 million Palestinians to leave the blockaded Gaza.

In Israel’s attacks on Gaza, 52 journalists were killed.

In the clashes between the Israeli army and Hezbollah on the Israel-Lebanon border since Oct. 8, 55 Hezbollah members and 4 civilians, one of whom was a journalist, were killed. Three Israeli soldiers and one Israeli civilian were killed in the attacks organized by Lebanon.

Most recently, Israel attacked the Jabalia Refugee Camp in Gaza, killing civilians.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that he was breaking off all contact with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu because of Israeli attacks on civilians in the Gaza Strip.

Source: Newsroom

WARNING: Comments that contain insults, swearing, offensive sentences or allusions, attacks on beliefs, are not written with spelling rules, do not use Turkish characters and are written in capital letters are not approved.