South Africa deployed the army in four provinces on Friday after at least two trucks carrying goods were set on fire on national highways across the country last week.
Police Minister Bheki Cele spoke of the possibility of economic sabotage against South Africa, although the exact motive for the attack could not be determined. Police searches for at least 12 people who may be linked to the attacks, although they have not said who may be behind them.
"These are organized and sophisticated operations," Cele said in a statement released by the South African government's official news agency.
Troops have been deployed in four provinces. South Africa's Defense Ministry said police could provide support to the army.
Amid claims that the truck burning was linked to a week of violence in July 2021, when more than 350 people were killed and businesses looted in protests that began when former President Jacob Zuma was jailed for contempt of court, Cele said there was no evidence of any link between the two incidents.
Cele said 21 trucks have been burned in various states since Sunday. Sunday, when the truck burnings began, was also the second anniversary of protests organized for the former president in 2021.
"No matter the motive, the country's law enforcement remains on high alert and is hard at work at preventing more attacks but also finding these individuals or gangs of thugs who are hell-bent on causing havoc on our roads," Cele said.
Authorities have not reported any deaths or serious injuries related to the burning of the trucks.
Source: Al Jazeera